Tuesday, November 3, 2015

October Reading Wrap-Up

Everyone have a good October? Lots of Halloween fun, and whatnot? I was all excited thinking we'd get a TON of trick-or-treaters since we're in a neighborhoody area, but apparently kids all trick-or-treat at stores now? So thanks for making me feel old and also I have a giant bowl of candy and only one kid came by. I would have dumped more candy into his bowl but his mom was giving me a look like she wouldn't like that so I restrained. Plus I thought maybe he'd be the first in a run of kids showing up, but NOPE. Anyway, another month down. First time in awhile I was very aware of the month coming to an end. Not like the beginning of October, which totally snuck up on me. Maybe it's cos there's a holiday at the end. Maybe it's because the first week in November is going to be insane (as was the last week of Oct) for work, so I've been paying close attention to getting through these days. Maybe it's because we had a readalong this week, which forced me to pay more attention to a calendar than I normally do.

Let's see those stats
Total books read
7
The Monk by Matthew Gregory Lewis
The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde
The Shining by Stephen King
Working Stiff:Two Years, 262 Bodies and the Making of a Medical Examiner by Dr. Judy Melinek
Locke & Key by Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez (except I listened to it instead of read so I didn't actually see the pictures...)
Think Like A Freak by Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner
Coraline by Neil Gaiman

Total pages read
2,777 (cos graphic novels make up a lot of pages, even when listened audio style)

Percentage of fiction read
71%

Percentage of female authors
14%...I think that's the lowest in awhile

Percentage of white authors
100%
(again, since I didn't actually see the illustrations for L&K it feels like cheating to include him)

Percentage of US authors
57%

Book formats
ebook - 71%
audiobook - 14%
paperback - 14%

Rereads
29%

Review books
0% - again

Books by decade
1790s - 14%
1970s - 14%
2000s - 29%
2010s - 43%

Books by genre
Economics (kinda) - 14%
Fantasy - 14%
Gothic - 14%
Horror - 33%
Science - 43%

Resolution books
57% - which sounds pretty impressive but probably shouldn't. It's only because The Monk and The Shining were written prior to 2000, and then The Last Dragonslayer, The Monk, and Coraline were by authors not from the US.